The department staff is dedicated to facilitating students’ applications to secure a license as an Optometrist in Florida. Our goal is to treat each application as a priority and expedite the process where possible. Here are just some of the actions the department staff have taken to smooth the applicant’s way through the process:
- Staff analyzed the current outstanding applications for deficiencies:
- As of May 5, 2017, there were 104 applications awaiting additional documents to complete the licensure process.
- The bulk of the missing documentation was examination scores.
- Contact was made with those students.
- Staff are assigned to applications alphabetically.
- Staff from other parts of MQA are on standby to assist in application review.
- Other areas of the department are also ready to assist.
- Staff have ready 19 applications scheduled for ratification by the board.
- Additional applicants will be added as the applications are complete.
- Staff presented 28 applicants at the February 17, 2017 board meeting for licensure as certified Optometrists.
- The department has requested the board hold a special meeting on May 11, 2017, before the time for appeal runs out. Suggested discussion is:
- Finding options for assisting the students to obtain their licenses.
- Staff moved the May 19, 2017 Board Meeting to Ft. Lauderdale so as to give students and other interested parties a face-to-face opportunity to voice their concerns.
- Board counsel placed Rule 64B13-4.001 on the board agenda to address its effect on future application processing for students applying for licensure.
- Staff receives frequent briefings of application status and adjust where necessary to process applications timely.
The department stands ready to assist students in any way possible within the licensing guidelines used to process applications. The Board of Optometry will hold a special telephone meeting on May 11, at 9:00 AM to discuss the licensing of currently enrolled and future students of optometry. Please direct your attention to the meetings tab and view “Next Meeting” section for access information.